The Society for Promotion of Science & Technology in India (SPSTI) has started organizing lectures on awareness for Novel Coronavirus by eminent Professors of PGIMER, Chandigarh.
A lecture was organized for the faculty members of Ajit Karam Singh International Public School (AKSIPS), Sector-45, Chandigarh. The speaker was Dr. D. Behera, OSD, AIIMS, Raebareli and Former Head, Department of Pulmonary Medicines, PRIMER, Chandigarh.
Dr. Behera initiated with history of coronavirus and its variants & explained that the pathogen has been identified as a novel enveloped RNA betacoronavirus, that has been named severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus-2 (SARS-CoV-2) which has a phylogenetic similarity to SARS-CoV.
He explained about various types of masks and personal protection equipment (PPE) kits & correct methods of wearing the masks.
Correct Measures of wearing the Masks:
- Unfold the pleats and make sure they are facing down
- Place over nose, mouth and chin
- Fit flexible nose piece over nose bridge
- Secure with tie strings (upper string to be tied on top of head above the ears – lower string at the back of the neck
- Ensure there are no gaps on either side of the mask, adjust to fit
- Do not let the mask hanging from the neck
- Change the mask after every six hours or as soon as they become wet.
- Never to be reused and should be disposed off properly
- While removing the mask great care must be taken not to touch the potentially infected outer surface of the mask
- First untie the tie-string below and then the tie string above and handle the mask using the upper strings
- Watch the correct way of wearing and removing the mask, Click here
- Use of a mask alone is insufficient to provide the adequate level of protection this measure must be combined with hand/respiratory hygiene and other IPC measures to prevent the human-to-human transmission of 2019-nCov
Dr. Behera shared all the latest facts and figures on effects of Coronavirus in India & abroad and highlighted that awareness and preventive measures are more important than getting afraid of the same.
Prof. Keya Dharamvir concluded the lecture by explaining about the events and activities of the society.